Back To Top
National

Koreas exchange fire twice near border

North Korea twice fired shells near the flashpoint Yellow Sea border with South Korea Wednesday, prompting warning shots from the South's marines in response, Seoul's military said.

The incidents fuelled already high tensions along the disputed sea border, which saw bloody naval skirmishes in recent years and a deadly shelling attack on South Korea's Yeonpyeong island last November.

The first incident came at 1 pm (0400 GMT), when Seoul's defence ministry said a North Korean shell landed near the border, known as the Northern Limit Line (NLL).

Marines based on Yeonpyeong island broadcast a warning and then fired three warning shots from K-9 self-propelled guns.

The North's coastal artillery fired again at 7:46 pm towards the border and the South again fired warning shots in response, a ministry spokesman told AFP.

"There were no more shots afterwards but we're now closely watching the situation," he said, declining to say how many rounds were fired.

Yonhap news agency quoted a resident of Yeonpyeong island as saying the North fired three shots in the evening, the same number as earlier in the day.

The ministry said the initial shells may have been fired during a training exercise.

The border firing came after the North made apparent peace overtures in recent weeks and expressed interest in restarting stalled six-nation nuclear disarmament talks.

Nuclear envoys from the two Koreas held rare talks in Bali last month, and a senior North Korean official visited New York later for discussions with US officials.

Troops on Yeonpyeong and other frontline islands have been on high alert since last November's bombardment, which killed four South Koreans including two civilians and damaged scores of buildings.

The government has reinforced troops and sent extra weaponry to the islands.

The firing in early afternoon briefly sparked alarm on Yeonpyeong, where some 1,800 civilians live along with the Marine garrison.

"The residents were preparing to evacuate their homes for shelters since they went through a similar thing in the past," a spokeswoman for Ongjin county, which oversees the island, told AFP.

"But they did not actually move to shelters since things have calmed down,"

the spokeswoman said, speaking before the evening firing.

The NLL was drawn unilaterally by United Nations forces after the 1950-53 war. The North refuses to accept it and says it should run further to the south.

The boundary line was the scene of deadly naval clashes in 1999, 2002 and November 2009. The South also accuses the North of torpedoing one of its warships near the NLL in March 2010, with the loss of 46 lives.

The North denied the charge but last November shelled Yeonpyeong in the first attack on a civilian-populated area in the South since the war.

The North said it was responding to a South Korean artillery drill which encroached into its waters. (AFP)

 

South Korean soldiers take part in a military drill on the beach in Malipo, north western South Korea, Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010. (AP-Yonhap News)
South Korean soldiers take part in a military drill on the beach in Malipo, north western South Korea, Sunday, Nov. 28, 2010. (AP-Yonhap News)

<한글기사>



북한군 해안포 또 발사..군 대응사격

두차례 5발 발사..군ㆍ주민 피해 없어

북한군이 10일 오후 서해 연평도 인근 해상에 포 사격을 한 데 이어 저녁에 또다시 포격을 가했다.

합동참모본부 관계자는 이날 "오늘 오후 7시46분 북한군의 해안포로 추정되는 사격이 북방한계선(NLL) 해상 쪽으로 발생했다"면서 "우리 군에서 경고차원의 대응사격을 했다"고 말했다.

북한군의 사격은 모두 2발이었으며 1발은 NLL 인근에 떨어졌다. 우리 군은 오후 8시 2분 K-9 자주포 3발을 NLL 선상으로 대응사격했다.

우리 군과 주민의 피해는 없는 것으로 확인됐다. 합참 관계자는 "현재 북한군의 대응을 예의주시하며 대비태시를 유지하고 있다"고 밝혔다.

앞서 이날 오후 1시께에도 북한 서해 용매도 남쪽에서 북한군의 해안포 사격으로 추정되는 3발의 폭발음이 들려 우리 군이 대응사격을 가했다.

NLL 인근으로 떨어진 북한의 포 사격은 지난해 11월 북한의 연평도 포격 도발 이후 이번이 처음이다.

합참 관계자는 "오늘 오후 1시께 북한 용매도 남쪽에서 북한군의 해안포 사격으 로 추정되는 3발의 폭발음이 들렸다"면서 "그 중 1발이 북방한계선(NLL) 인근에  떨 어진 것으로 추정하고 오후 2시께 K-9 3발을 대응사격했다"고 말했다.

우리 군은 대응사격 직후에 연평도 주민에게 대피 안내 방송을 했으며 우리  군 과 주민의 피해는 없는 것으로 확인됐다.

용매도는 NLL에서 11km가량 떨어져 있으며 연평도와의 거리는 19km 정도다.  포 탄이 떨어진 정확한 지점은 확인되지 않았다.

합참 관계자는 "서해상 시계가 1km에 불과하기 때문에 NLL을 넘었다는 것을  정 확히 식별하기는 불가능하다"면서 "관측장비에 의해 NLL을 넘은 것으로 판단했다"고 말했다.

그는 "오후 1시25분께 국제상선통신망을 통해 경고통신을 하고 이후 대응수준을 정했다"면서 "함정 근처에 가해진 위협이면 즉각 조치했겠지만 NLL 선상까지만 왔기 때문에 우리도 NLL쪽으로 대응했다"고 설명했다.

현재 북한군의 사격훈련 기간인 것으로 추정되며 이에 대한 사전예고는  없었다 고 이 관계자는 밝혔다.

정부 관계자는 "북한군이 실수로 사격한 것인지 의도적인 사격인지 의도를 파악 하고 있다"고 말했다.

현재 북한군의 특이동향은 없으며 우리 군은 북한군의 동향을 예의주시하며  대비태세를 갖추고 있다고 군 관계자는 전했다.

연평도 주민 놀라 대피소동

북한군의 포성이 들리자 현지 주민들이 지난해 포격사태의 악몽을 떠올리며 대피소로 몸을 피하 는 등 한때 소동을 벌였다.

연평면에 따르면 이날 오후 2시께 북한 쪽에서 포성이 들리자 놀란 주민 100여 명이 대피소 6곳으로 분산 대피했다.

주민들은 20~30분 동안 대피해 있다가 상황이 종료되자 밖으로 나왔지만 놀란 가슴은 한동안 진정되지 않는 모습이었다.

연평도에서 민박을 운영하는 이모(68.여)씨는 "포성을 들었는데 전쟁 나는 게 아닌가 싶어 아직도 떨리고 무섭다"며 "주민들도 우왕좌왕하고 있다"라고 말했다.

연평119지역대 신효근(39) 소방사는 "북한군이 쏜 3발의 포성을 정확히 들었고 약 1분 뒤에 우리 군이 대응사격하는 소리도 들었다"며 "이후로는 상황이  조용해졌 다"라고 말했다.

연평도의 한 30대 선장은 "아까 낚싯배를 타고 조업을 나갔는데 우리 해군에서 무전 통신으로 '인근 해상에 북한 배가 떴으니 안전한 곳으로 피하라'는 연락이  왔고 이어 해군 고속정들이 대응하려고 NLL쪽으로 올라가는 모습이 보이더니 곧  포성이 들렸다"라고 말했다.

연평도에서 배로 2시간 거리에 있는 서해 최북단 백령도 주민들도 뒤늦게  북한 군의 포 사격 소식을 접하고 긴장하고 있다.

백령도 주민 홍모(44)씨는 "대부분의 주민은 아직 포격 소식을 접하지 못해  일 상적으로 생활하고 있지만 차츰 이 사실을 알고 걱정하는 사람이 늘어날 것"이라며 "특히 백령도에 들어와 있는 외지 관광객들은 내일 여객선 운항여부를 궁금해 하며 불안해 할 것 같다"라고 말했다. (연합뉴스)

MOST POPULAR