Back To Top
World

Norway gunman should have killed himself instead: father

OSLO, July 25, 2011 (AFP) - Anders Behring Breivik, who admitted carrying out last week's twin attacks in Norway, should have committed suicide instead of killing 76 people, his estranged father told TV2 in an interview shown Monday.

"I think that ultimately he should have taken his own life rather than kill so many people," Jens Breivik said in the interview recorded in Cournanel in the south of France where the retired diplomat lives.

Norway's twin terror attacks suspect Anders Behring Breivik, left, sits in an armored police vehicle after leaving the courthouse following a hearing in Oslo Monday July 25, 2011 where he pleaded not guilty to one of the deadliest modern mass killings in peacetime. (AP)
Norway's twin terror attacks suspect Anders Behring Breivik, left, sits in an armored police vehicle after leaving the courthouse following a hearing in Oslo Monday July 25, 2011 where he pleaded not guilty to one of the deadliest modern mass killings in peacetime. (AP)


Jens Breivik said he had not had any contact with his son for 15 years.

"I will never have any more contact with him," said Breivik, filmed from behind so as to conceal his identity during the interview on a sunny terrace, with French police standing in the background.

Breivik agrees these are strong words to utter about one's son, "But when I think of what happened, I'm filled with despair. I still don't understand how something like this could happen. No-one normal could do that.

 

<한글기사>

테러범 외교관父 "아들 자살했어야했다"

 

(오슬로 AFP=연합뉴스) 노르웨이 연쇄 테러의 용의자 안데르스 베링 브레이빅의 부친 젠스 브레이빅은 25일 "아들은 그렇게 많은 사람을 죽이기보다 스스로 목숨을 끊어야 했다"고 말했다.

외교관 출신의 브레이빅은 이날 프랑스 남부 쿠르나넬에서 가진 노르웨이 TV2와 의 인터뷰에서 "이는 아들에게 하기에는 너무 심한 말이라는 것을 안다"면서 이같이 강조했다.

그는 그러면서 "어떤 일이 벌어졌는지 알았을 때 절망했고, 아직도 이런 일이 어떻게 벌어졌는지 이해할 수 없다"며 "정상적인 사람이라면 이런 일을 저지를 수 없다"고 말했다.

브레이빅은 "지난 15년간 아들과 연락을 주고받은 적이 없고 앞으로도 절대  연 락하지 않을 것"이라고 덧붙였다.

MOST POPULAR