The new commander of U.S. forces in Korea is scheduled to begin work later this week, as he has been confirmed by the Senate, a diplomatic source here said Monday.
The Senate recently endorsed President Barack Obama's nomination of Gen. James Thurman as head of the 28,000 troops after last month's confirmation hearing, and a change of command ceremony will be held in Seoul Thursday, added the source.
Thurman, now commander of the U.S. Army Forces Command, replaces Gen. Walter Sharp, who has served in Korea for three years.
"Adm. Mike Mullen, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will attend the ceremony," the source said.
At his confirmation hearing, Thurman said the U.S. and South Korean militaries should prepare for a possible regime collapse in North Korea, which is pushing for another father-to-son power transfer. (Yonhap News)