A base for South Korean aid workers and troops in Afghanistan was attacked by rockets again over the weekend, Seoul’s Foreign Ministry said Sunday in the 11th such report in this year alone.
Two rounds of rocket-propelled grenades landed on the ground near the provincial reconstruction team camp in Charika, a city in the northern Afghan province of Parwan, at around 9:08 p.m. Saturday (local time), the ministry said.
“No casualties have been reported,” an unnamed ministry official said, adding an investigation will be made together with the local police in Afghanistan.
The latest attack came less than two weeks after the South Korean base was attacked by rockets. It is the 11th shelling this year and the sixth since the death of Osama bin Laden on May 2, although no casualties have been reported.
The South Korean government has been high alert for similar attacks, concerned that the Taliban forces angry with Osama’s death might be responsible for the continuing shelling.
South Korea currently has some 90 aid workers and police officers in Afghanistan as its provincial reconstruction team, along with some 270 troops to protect the team.
The team and the troops had been stationed at a U.S. military base in the Bagram region until they moved into the new base in Charika in January. Charika has been considered safe due to its proximity to Bagram Airfield, which is one of the largest military bases of the NATO-led international forces.
By Shin Hae-in (firstname.lastname@example.org