“Bibim-naengmyeon” is a dish of cold buckwheat noodles mixed with spicy and thick red pepper sauce. It may be garnished with raw fish. It is also called “Hamheung-naengmyeon” because it was a regional food of the Hamheung district in South Hamgyeong Province.
● 600 g buckwheat noodles (dried)
● 100 g minced beef
● 100 g radish
● 1 cucumber,½ tsp salt
● 100 g pear
● 2 eggs
Seasoning sauce ①
● 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
● 1/2 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp minced green onion
● 1/4 tsp minced garlic, dash of ground black pepper
● 1/2 tsp sesame salt, 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Seasoning sauce ②
● 250 g pear, 30 g onion
● 1 1/2 tbsp salt
● 1 tbsp minced garlic
● 3 tbsp sugar
● 6 tbsp vinegar
● 4 dried red pepper
● 4 tbsp coarse red pepper powder
1. Season beef with seasoning sauce ①
2. Wash cucumber, cut into two pieces lengthwise, shred into 4 cm-long and 0.2 cm-thick diagonally. Marinate them with salt water for 20 min. wipe water with cotton cloth.
3. Wash radish, shred into 6 cm-long,1.5 cm-wide and 0.2 cm-thick, then marinate with salt, sugar and vinegar for 20 min.
4. Peel the pear and cut into a half moon shape. Dip it in sugar water for 5 min.
5. Peel and shred the pear and onion for seasoning sauce ②.
6. Wipe dried red peppers with damp cotton cloths, cut them diagonally and remove the seeds. Grind seasoning sauce ② without red pepper powder in the mixer first, then add coarse red pepper powder and mix.
7. Preheat the frying pan, stir-fry beef for 2 min. on medium heat.
8. Put water, salt and eggs in the pot, heat it up for 5 min. on high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium, boil it for 12 min. take them into cold water. Peel off eggshells, halve them.
9. Pour water in the pot, heat it for 12 min. on high heat. Boil noodles for 2 min., rinse in cold water by rubbing with hands, make coils with noodles and drain water on a tray.
10. Place the noodles in the bowl, top with prepared beef, cucumber, radish, pear, egg and seasoning sauce ②.
(Adapted from the Taste of Korea)