NATIONAL

All 20 crew members of Korean container ship confirmed safe

By
  • Published : Apr 21, 2011 - 22:26
  • Updated : Apr 22, 2011 - 09:37

All 20 crew members of a South Korean-owned container vessel, which was apparently attacked by Somali pirates early Thursday, have been confirmed safe, the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.


Naval commandos of the Cheonghae Unit, a South Korean anti-piracy contingent operating off the Somali coast, boarded the 75,000-ton Hanjin Tianjin and found that all crew members remained unharmed inside the citadel, a bulletproof safety zone in the ship.

The commandos searched the vessel with 14 South Koreans and six Indonesians aboard and found no pirates aboard, officials said. 

The Panamanian-registered ship owned by South Korea’s Hanjin Shipping Co. lost contact at around 5:15 a.m. Thursday when it was in waters some 460 miles east of the Somali coast. It was sailing from Spain to Singapore.

The crew members were found in the zone at around 7:30 p.m. and are currently in good health, officials said.

The commandos also discovered three live bullets of AK rifles presumed to be owned by Somali pirates and multiple footprints of bare feet, all of which indicate that pirates attempted to hijack the vessel, officials said.

A Turkish warship, just 80 miles away from the container ship at the time of the attack, first arrived at the scene to help South Korea’s rescue operation. It provided necessary information to the Cheonghae Unit before the 4,500-ton destroyer Choi Young of the unit arrived at the scene at 4:40 p.m., officials said.

“We will do our utmost to enhance maritime security and international peace in the region under the principle that our military will never make any compromise with pirates,” said JCS spokesperson Col. Lee Bung-woo in a press conference.

The attack came about three months after South Korea’s 11,500-ton chemical freighter Samho Jewelry and its 21 crew members were rescued by the Navy in a blitzkrieg days after it had been seized in the Arabian Sea between Oman and India.

The Cheonghae unit was deployed in March 2009 to join an international anti-piracy campaign in the Gulf of Aden off the Somali coast.

Somalia, with a coastline facing one of the world’s busiest shipping routes, has been in a state of civil war for two decades and has not had a functioning central administration since Dictator Mohammed Siad Barre was ousted in 1991.

A U.S.-led military intervention aimed at restoring order in Somalia began in December 1992. However, the efforts failed and international forces pulled out in 1995 due to the growing danger to troops.

By Song Sang-ho (sshluck@heraldcorp.com)

(관련기사)

한진텐진호 선원 전원무사

소말리아 해적이 인도양을 항해 중이던 한진해운[117930] 소속 컨테이너선을 납치하려고 시도했으나 선원 전원이 선내 피난처로 긴급 대피하면서 상황 발생 14시간 만에 무사히 구출됐다.

해적은 두 차례나 총기 공격을 가하면서 선교(船橋.선장이 지휘하는 장소)까지 올라온 것으로 추정되나 납치가 물리적으로 어려워지자 물러난 것으로 알려졌다.

합동참모본부는 21일 "청해부대가 오늘 오후 7시30분께 아덴만 해역에서 해적으로부터 공격받고 시타델(Citadel.긴급 피난처 혹은 안전 격실)에서 피신 중이던 한국인 14명과 인도네시아인 6명 등 선원 20명 전원을 안전하게 구출했다"고 밝혔다.

청해부대는 한진텐진호 선상과 선내를 수색한 결과 해적의 것으로 추정되는 AK 소총 실탄 3발을 수거하고 선교에서 다수의 맨발 자국을 발견했으며 통신장비를 조작하려 한 흔적을 확인했다고 합참은 설명했다.

합참은 이에 따라 소말리아 해적이 승선해 선교까지 올라온 뒤 선원들에 대해 납치를 시도하려고 했을 것으로 추정하고 있다.

이붕우 합찹 공보실장은 이날 브리핑에서 "최초에 선원들이 안전격실로 대피하기 이전에 외부 충격을 느꼈고 곧바로 선장이 안전격실로 전원 대피할 것을 지시했다"고 말했다.

파나마 선적의 7만5천t급 한진텐진호는 이날 오전 5시15분께 스페인에서 싱가포르로 운항하던 중 소말리아 동쪽 460마일 지점에서 해적의 공격을 받았고, 그 즉시 위험신호(SSAS)가 국토해양부 상황실로 발신돼 합동참모본부에 보고됐다고 외교부는 밝혔다.

이에 따라 아덴만에서 작전 중이던 청해부대 소속 최영함은 오전 7시께 한진텐진호를 향해 기동을 시작, 300마일을 이동해 오후 5시께 현장 인근해역에 도착했다.

이에 앞서 한진텐진호로부터 80마일 떨어진 연합함대 소속 터키 군함은 미리 현장에 도착, 헬기를 이용해 정찰활동을 수행했으며 그 결과 ▲한진텐진호가 정지 중이고 ▲갑판은 점등된 상태였으며 ▲외부 인원이 식별되지 않았고 ▲배 주변에 해적들의 모선과 자선이 없다는 내용을 우리측에 통보했다.

청해부대는 삼호주얼리호 구출작전 때와 마찬가지로 2개팀, 16명 요원들을 한진텐진호에 투입했으며 승선 직후 선교와 선내 각 격실, 안전격실 순으로 정밀 수색을 벌여 선원 전원의 안전 여부를 최종 확인했다.

이날 투입된 2개팀 병력중 대부분은 삼호주얼리호 구출 작전때 활약한 요원들이다.

합참 관계자는 "한진텐진호 선원의 건강상태는 모두 양호한 편"이라고 설명했다.

선사인 한진해운은 한진텐진호를 안전지대로 이동시킨 뒤 선박상황을 정밀 점검할 예정이며 문제가 없는 것으로 확인될 경우 싱가포르를 거쳐 부산으로 정상 운항토록 할 방침이다. (연합뉴스)