ENTERTAINMENT

Court rules in favor of JYJ in a dispute with SM Entertainment

By 양승진
  • Published : Feb 18, 2011 - 16:54
  • Updated : Feb 18, 2011 - 16:54

JYJ, a pop trio consisting of members from one of Asia’s favorite groups, “Dong Bang Shin Ki,” has won its legal battle to work independently from its management company.

When three members of the quintet, namely Kim Jaejoong, Park Yoochun, and Kim Junsu (more commonly known as Hero, Micky and Xia), formed JYJ, SM Entertainment claimed the action was a breach of contract. 

JYJ members Kim Jun-su (left), Kim Jae-joong (center) and Park Yoo-chun hold commemorative plaques at the appointment ceremony as goodwill ambassadors for the robot competition FLL KOREA in Seoul on Thursday. (Park Hyun-koo/The Korea Herald)

However, Seoul Central District Court dismissed Thursday the injunction request filed by SM Entertainment, thereby allowing JYJ to negate its contract with the company. The court had already ordered on Oct. 27, 2009 that SM Entertainment should not interfere with JYJ and its management agency CJes Entertainment’s activities.

According to the court, the exclusive contract cannot be considered legal for the following reasons: 1) The contract violates the right to privacy, establishing a “dominant-subordinate exclusive” condition, forcing members to obey the agency. 2) JYJ has weaker negotiation capability, having no choice but to follow SM’s decision. 3) The long period of the “dominant-subordinate exclusive” contract cannot be justified as a reduction of investment risk or to penetrate abroad. 4) The articles such as excessive penalty also result in a stronger “dominant-subordinate” relationship.

Other provisions that pushed members into a disadvantageous position were also invalidated, the court official said.

The court also said SM Entertainment’s injunction was a violation of the earlier court ruling not to interfere with JYJ.

A representative of CJes Entertainment, Back Chang-ju, said, “I express my gratitude to JYJ and staff members for their help in fighting a battle with Goliath.

“I believe that this is the victory of justice, and I hope that there will be no more interference with our activity for ridiculous reasons like double contract.”

(Herald Online)


<한글기사>

JYJ, SM 엔터테인먼트와 계약 무효로 판결

유명 아이돌 그룹 “동방신기” 맴버 세 명으로 구성된 JYJ가 법원의 판결로 독자적인 활동을 보장받게 되었다.

영웅재중, 미키유천, 시아준수 (본명 김재중, 박유천, 김준수) 등 세 명의 맴버로 구성된 그룹 JYJ에 대한 SM 엔터테인먼트의 소송에서 법원은 다시 한번 JYJ측의 손을 들어 주었다.

서울지방법원은 2월 17일, SM 엔터테인먼트의 가처분이의 신청을 기각하였다. 재판부는 “이 사건 전속계약은 연예인 자신의 독자적인 의사결정권을 가지지 못하고 연예기획사의 일방적인 지시를 준수하도록 되어있는 ‘종속형 전속계약’”에 해당 된다는 점과 비롯하여, “JYJ의 맴버들은 협상력에 있어 SM에 비해 일방적으로 열악한 지위”에 있는 점 등을 들어 2009년 10월 27자 가처분결정 입장을 유지하였다. 

JYJ와 씨제스 엔터테인먼트 와의 계약 효력 정지 신청에도 법원은 기존 가처분 결정에 정면으로 반하는 신청으로 보고 허용하지 않았으며, SM이 JYJ에 대해 전속계약의 기한 관리, 감독권을 행사할 수 없다는 점을 분명히 하였다.

한편 씨제스 엔터테인먼트의 백창주 대표는 ““골리앗을 상대하는 힘겨운 싸움을 묵묵히 이겨내고 있는 JYJ 멤버들과 스탭들에게 존경과 고마움을 전한다.”며, “진실의 승리라고 생각하고 앞으로 이중계약 등의 억지 논리로 우리의 활동을 방해하는 일이 없길 바라며 JYJ가 대중들에게 최고의 모습을 보여줄 수 있도록 노력하겠다.”고 밝혔다.